SLS 3D PRINTING TECHNOLOGY
SLS uses production-grade nylon materials, resulting in durable, functional parts that last. In fact, SLS printed parts rival other parts produced using traditional manufacturing methods. The robustness of SLS makes this technology great for:
- Complex and durable production parts
- Production and prototype parts that need to withstand high-heat environments or chemical exposure
- Impact resistant parts
- Parts with snap fits/living hinges
- Automotive design
- Aerospace parts and ducting, flame-retardant parts
- Low-volume production and mass customization solutions
- Medical devices
- Jigs, fixtures and tools
- Investment casting patterns
- Elastomeric and urethane parts, such as gaskets, seals and hoses
SLS 3D PRINTERS
Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) 3D Printers
3D Systems’ SLS is an integrated solution of hardware, software, and fine-tuned nylon and composite materials that combine to deliver robust, high-resolution parts at high throughput.
The surface finish, resolution, repeatability, and accuracy of SLS enable increased manufacturing agility with a low total cost of operations.
Our SLS printers use 3D Sprint® all-in-one software for plastic printing to prepare and optimize CAD data, and manage the SLS printing process. Tools for high-performance—such as high-density automatic 3D nesting, quality checks for pre-build verification, repair options, print queue tool for efficient build planning, cage structure generator for small parts enclosure, and more features—bring increased productivity and quality to your SLS production process without needing additional third-party software.
From medium to large frame, we offer SLS printing solutions with different build volumes, levels of automation, and a large variety of materials.
SLS Material Properties & Uses
Nylon PA 12
Strong polyamide 12 thermoplastics that can replace traditionally injection molded articles; includes food-grade, medical-grade, and flame-retardant capable options.
Filled Nylons / PA
Engineered for greater end-use part performance, these materials are developed with glass, aluminum, or mineral fiber fillers to offer a range of advanced properties in terms of stiffness, temperature resistance, strength, and surface finish.
Nylon / PA 11
Impact-resistant polyamide 11 thermoplastics that offer molded-part performance in harsh environments; ideal for snap-fits and living hinges with the flexibility to bounce back to the original shape.
Rubber-like flexibility for prototypes and production parts with excellent memory, tear, and abrasion resistance.
Great for sacrificial patterns for prototype metal castings and low to medium production runs without tooling.
Why Use SLS?
High Speed and Throughput
Large SLS build capacities paired with fast build times, high-density nesting, and no support structures help you maximize every print for more parts, sooner.
Best-In-Class Part Quality
Side-by-side comparison testing shows 3D Systems SLS printers provide best-in-class part quality.* Get superior accuracy, part resolution, edge definition, and surface finish with 3D Systems’ SLS solutions.
* Same part file printed on ProX SLS 6100 in DuraForm ProX PA compared to a competitive system in PA 12
As a self-supporting build methodology, SLS enables the production of complex geometries, such as monolithic designs, lightweight components, and mass-customized products, that could not be manufactured any other way.
Low Part & Ownership Costs
The features and capabilities of 3D Systems’ SLS deliver up to 20% lower operational costs compared to similar printers. These include automated production tools, high throughput, material efficiency, and repeatability, just to name a few.
Robust, Performance Parts
SLS technology produces tough and durable parts that excel in high-performance prototyping and end-use applications. 3D Systems’ DuraForm® SLS materials have been optimized, validated, and tested to ensure quality, with uniform 3D mechanical properties.
Broad SLS Materials Selection
Manufacture with true nylon materials that answer your application requirements. Whether you need toughness, heat resistance, flame retardancy, flexibility, or food-grade and medical-grade options, the 3D Systems SLS materials portfolio has you covered.
- Impact and temperature resistant durable parts
- Covers, housings, enclosures
- Jigs and fixtures
- Reduced weight production parts
- Knobs, handles and other dashboard/interior parts
- Parts with snap fits and living hinges
- Machinery components
- Complex duct work
- Exceptional surface finish and resolution
- Prints parts that others struggle to print
- Minimal waste of materials
- Consistently high accuracy parts even on first-time builds
- Ease of use ‒ intuitive workflow
- Selective laser sintering (SLS) technology
- Max build envelope capacity (W x D x H): 15 x 13 x 18 in (381 x 330 x 460 mm)
- Consistent mechanical properties
- High production speed for its class of 2.7 l/hr
- Streamlined production control, including 3D Sprint® integrated additive manufacturing software, fully automated powder handling and optional 3D Connect capability
- Automated 3D part nesting
- Maximized build volume and density